Adults seek orthodontic treatment for many of the same reasons as children. Some adults had orthodontic problems as children but were unable to correct them. Others had treatment as children and seek treatment as adults due to relapse or limitations in initial treatment.
Benefits of Orthodontic Treatment
Adults can benefit from orthodontic treatment in many ways:
- Align the teeth to create a more aesthetic and beautiful smile
- Correct relapse after previous orthodontic treatment
- Improve oral hygiene, especially for crowded or overlapping front teeth
- Create a better or more comfortable bite
- Prepare spaces to replace missing teeth
- Close excessive or unsightly space between teeth
- Reduce excessive wear on the teeth due to grinding or poor bite
- Jaw surgery to correct skeletal discrepancies between the upper and lower jaws
Appearance of Braces
Many adults are concerned with the appearance of braces. We offer highly esthetic clear braces with tooth-colored wires to minimize any concerns about how you look during treatment.
Soreness | Discomfort
Orthodontic wire technology has advanced to the point where treatment is no longer uncomfortable. Adults are sometimes unaccustomed to the rapid changes occurring during tooth movement.
The teeth are most uncomfortable a day or two after an orthodontic adjustment. Titanium alloy wires put less pressure on teeth and movement occurs rapidly. Because of the increased efficiency of the wires, we can see patients at 8-10 week intervals instead of every month. Treatment on average is completed in 15-18 months.
Cost of Treatment
The fee for adult orthodontic treatment is determined the same way as child or adolescent. It is based on the severity of the problem, the complexity of the correction, the appliances used and the length of time to correct.
Dr. Hage has treated individuals in their 50’s, 60’s and even their 70’s. It is never too late to get the smile you have always wanted.